Wednesday, October 21, 2009

La vie en rose



Bored this week-end? Why don't you watch a beautiful French movie with Marion Cotillard? She won all the awards for best actress in 2008: the Cesar, Golden Globe, British Award and the Oscar.

From the streets of the cutthroat Belleville district of Paris to the dazzling
limelight of New York's glamorous concert halls, Edith Piaf's life was a constant
battle to sing and survive, to live and love. Raised in abject poverty, surrounded by hookers and pimps, Edith's magical voice made her a star on both sides of the Atlantic. Her passionate romances and friendships with the greatest names of the period -- Yves Montand, Jean Cocteau, Charles Aznavour, Marlene Deitrich, boxing world champion Marcel Cerdan -- made her a household name as much as her memorable live performances and beautiful renditions of songs she made famous internationally, "La Vie en Rose", "Milord", "Hymn to Love", "Non, je ne regrette rien" and many more. But in her audacious attempt to tame her tragic destiny, the "Little Sparrow" -- as she was nicknamed -- flew so high that she could not fail to burn her wings.

The movie is available in Kuwait: http://www.q8megastore.com/default.aspx?param=la%20vie%20en%20rose&sel=1

1 comment:

  1. La Vie en Rose Report
    Salman Al-Sabah

    1- Description of what you saw, listened to, and experienced in your own words.

    The movie started off with old Edith singing – this confused me at first. I wasn’t really into the movie until young Edith showed up. The actress who played young Edith was excellent. She almost brought tears to my eyes. Once young Edith started to sing, my jaw dropped. Her voice was very mature for her age ad she knew how to control it. But after Edith grew up, I started hating her. The more she grew up, the more obnoxious she became. She started to forget herself and abandoned those who stood by her when she needed them. I was hoping for her to die by the end of the movie, and I was almost sure that she was going to die, but the movie just ended right after she performed.


    2- What connection (from an educational point of view) can you find between what you did and our class.

    If it weren’t for the translations, I don’t think I would have understood anything. I picked up a couple of words like malade, ecoutez, je suis, chanteuse, actrice, regardez, vous, etc. But, I understood a word or two every 5-10 minutes – not good! I think I might re-watch the movie after the course finishes and see if I’ve learned anything new or not. I understood the songs more than the actual speaking.


    3- Description of interaction you had about the experience with other people -this could be discussion you had with people at the event or place.
    I watched the movie with a friend. We both had different opinions about the movie. I myself thought the movie was good. I don’t think it deserved an Oscar, but it was still good. I thought her singing was impeccable. Whereas my cousin/friend thought it was a boring movie. The only thing he liked about the movie was her singing. He then got bored of watching and left about 45 minutes into the movie. I continued watching it of course, but the movie kept going downhill.

    ReplyDelete